Several themes emerge from our readings. In many cases, the readings draw attention to a different view of something familiar or to subjects we give little thought to. The topics below represent several areas many Americans give little thought to or need to have a greater knowledge of.
For your second essay, select one of the subject areas listed below.
Subject Areas (Select 1)
- For those who grew up speaking English as their first language, how many speak language other than English?
- American history
- Human responsibility to the natural world.
Subtopics (Select at least two of these to cover in terms of your main subject)
- How good is the Average American adult’s knowledge of this subject?
- Why is the general knowledge level of this subject area as blow as it is?
- Why does it matter whether Americans do or don’t know this?