You are the Marketing Communication Manager for a local chain of fast-food restaurants, Burger Hut and a range of new products will be launched soon (use your imagination!).
Your Managing Director has tasked you to come up with a marketing communication plan that recommends how the company can uses various communication tools to introduce this/these new product/s in the market.
The IMC Plan
1. Executive Summary
2. Environmental Scanning/Situation Analysis
(SWOT Analysis, Competitor Analysis +Statement of Problems)
3. Statement of Marcomm Objectives
4. Recommendation & Implementation of IMC Tactics: IMC Elements
5. Proposed Methods of Control & Evaluation
- Provide Burger Hut’s Company History (Internal Environment, including operational details such as number of outlets, number of staff, country of origin etc)
- Use your IMAGINATION!
- Perform simple SWOT Analysis including Competitor Analysis
- Statement of potential Marcomm Problems e.g:
1. Lack of brand awareness
2. Negative country of origin effects
3. Intense competition from other fast-food chains
4. Uninspired products
5. Lack of advertising or sales promotions (no coupons, games etc)
Statement of Marketing Communications Objectives that should address & solve the problems (What we want to achieve with communications)E.g:
1.To reposition Burger Hut’s brand to appeal to families & youths
2. To raise new product awareness: e.g. Kaiju Burger, Bulgogi Burger, Curry Burger via advertising
3. To build a strong brand identity through public relations
4.To increase sales of new range of products via sales promotions
5.To introduce new mascot: McCurry Man!??
Marcomm Strategy & Implementation
- Profile/Describe Targeted Customers for the new product: e.g. Teens, Kids, Families & their media habits (important!)
- Briefly describe/show new Products
- Briefly list selling Prices
- Briefly describe intended Positioning Strategy (Learnt from Marketing Principles)
- Recommended IMC Tools: i.e. advertising, personal selling, sales promotions, PR etc…
- Must elaborate on how these tools will be used!
Proposed Marcomm Implementation
E.g. 1. Advertising: Describe Advertising in local media, Product placements in local TV shows
E.g. 2. Personal Selling: Sincere, Service-oriented, More service training?
E.g. 3. Public Relations & Publicity: Charity events, Sponsorship, road shows???
E.g. 4. Sales Promotions: Coupons, Samples, Premiums, Lucky Draws, Burger-eating contest, Point-of-purchase…renovate and develop frontage with vibrant colors
E.g. 5. Direct/Interactive Marketing: Social Media, Blogs, Downloadable menu from Burger Hut’s website, Interactive delivery service
Evaluation & Control
Ensure that you are on the right track
Allow detection of errors & corrective action
Indicators of success or failure and must be monitored and linked to Objectives:
1.Sales Revenue/Units Sold (- or +)
3.Media Publicity Generated
4.Competitor activities/ sales
5.Brand awareness levels/feedback
6.Customer Response to Sales Promotion Activities