Choose one of the following.Essay questions:
1. ‘Meiji Westernisation was a means to an anti-Western end.’ What does this statement mean? Do you agree?
2. Do you think that Japanese prime ministers and/or politicians should ever visit the Yasukuni Shrine? Why/why not?
3. What were the factors that contributed to changing interpretations of Article 9 in the postwar Japan? Do you thinkArticle 9 has any role and relevance in today’s Japan and the world?
4. In what way and to what extent has the post-warUS occupation changed Japanese society? Choose three things that you consider most fundamental/significant and explain why you think they are important.
5. Why do you think reconciliation between Japan and China/Korea over the ‘history issue’ has been so difficult? You may either focus on Japan-China or Japan-Korea, or discuss both.
6. Was the dropping of the A-bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki justifiable?