Task: You have recently been employed as the Director of Informatics for the Metro Hospital in Brisbane. The Metro Hospital is a 363 bed facility on the Northside of Brisbane. The services include general surgical, general medical, oncology, vascular, ear, nose and throat, palliative care, ophthalmology and maternity and children’s services. It has good links with the Division of General Practitioners in the local area.
Your mandate is to lead the hospital to achieve level 7 of the HIMSS EMR Adoption Model by 2025. As a Health Informatics Professional, you took the job for this reason as you have always wanted to work in a fully electronic environment. You are certainly driven to achieve it. Using the below points, outline how you intend on achieving this.
• Outline what you would do in your analysis and planning when you first start;
• Articulate your strategy and timeframes to reach ‘fully digital’ status;
• What technical factors would you need to consider when building your Electronic Health Record and why are these important? HINT: standards, terminologies?
• What systems would you use to support your strategy?
• What types of resources would you employ?
• How would you govern and manage the project?
• What risks do you see?
• How does your strategy align with that of Queensland and that of Australia?
Critical Evaluation and Relevance of Discussion
- Knowledge and critique based on important ideas, theoretical concepts and research findings.
- Cohesiveness and quality of analysis and discussion.
Organisation, Structure and Written Presentation
- Clear, logical and evident structure to the organisation and presentation of the discussion in the paper.
- Demonstrates acceptable standards of written work
1. Background / Overview
Suggestions for inclusion (list not exhaustive): –
- Why is this report being written?
- What is HIMSS level 7?
- Why is it important to achieve HIMSS level 7 by 2025?
- What will this status offer the hospital?
- What will this report demonstrate?
2. Vision for the EMR
- What is your vision?
- What will be EHR implemented by 2025 look like? Eg – What systems will it comprise? How will they integrate?
- What will it do? What will it offer?
- What are the critical success factors for the EMR?
3. Analysing the current situation
- How will you review the current status of informatics within the MetroHospital?
- What specific aspects will you review?
4. Aspects critical to supporting an EMR
- What are the technical factors you need to consider?
- What information management practices must be implemented to ensure its effectiveness? Eg – Standards
5. Roadmap for achieving HIMSS level 7 by 2025
Develop the specific goals and timelines for you to achieve a ‘fully digital’ status by 2025. Eg – when are you going to achieve what?
6. Implementation Plan
- How will you implement it? What is your implementation plan?
- What resources do you require to implement the project?
- How will you govern your project?
8. Alignment to state and national eHealth programs
- What specific aspects of the state and national eHealth programs will affect the implementation of the EMR?
- How does your strategy integrate with national and state based plans?
- How will you integrate your EMR with the broader strategic plans?
9. Likelihood of success and identification of risk
- How confident are you that you will achieve your vision? What risks do you see?
- Are there any benchmarks to what you have suggested? What does research tell you?