Health Politics and Policy
1. What is the difference between an entitlement program and a block grant?
2. Identify whether Medicaid, SCHIP, and Medicare are entitlement programs or block grants.
3. Generally, who is covered by Medicaid?
4. What is one key way the Medicare funding differs from Medicaid and SCHIP funding?
5. Identify 2 examples of the way being uninsured impacts an individual’s health status.
6. Give 2 reasons why US national health reform became such heated debate for decades
7. Explain the meaning of the “no-duty- to-treat” principle and give two examples of laws that narrow the scope of the principle.
8. Explain the origin and key functions of EMTALA
9. What were the key determinations made by the federal court of appeals in the case of Canterbury v. Spence?
10. Explain how the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision in Planned Parenthood v. Casey altered the abortion regulation scheme articulated in Roe v. Wade.
11. Explain (a) the origins of the professional standard of care and (b) the two key evidentiary elements of the standard as it was first developed.
12. Describe 2 most significant changes will bring to US healthcare landscape from Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010