Task 1: Recovering scrambled bits
For this task I will upload a text file with scrambled bits on the Interact site closer to the assignment due date. You will be required to restore the scrambled bits to their original order and copy the plain text in your assignment.
Deliverable: Describe the process used in restoring the scrambled bits and insert plain text in the assignment.
Task 2: Revealing hidden information from an image
For this task I will provide an image with hidden information in it. You will be required to reveal the hidden information.
Deliverable: Describe the process used to reveal the hidden information from the image and copy the revealed information in the assignment in plain text.
Task 3: Forensics Report
In this major task you are assumed as a Digital Forensics Examiner. Considering a real or a hypothetical case you are required to produce a formal report consisting of facts from your findings to your attorney who has retained you. You are free to choose a forensics scenario which can be examination of a storage media (HDD, USB Drive etc), email or social media forensics, mobile device forensics, cloud forensics or any other appropriate scenario you can think of.
Deliverable: A forensics report
This assessment task covers data validation, e-discovery, steganography, reporting and presenting, and has been designed to ensure that you are engaging with the subject content on a regular basis. More specifically it seeks to assess your ability to:
- determine the legal and ethical considerations for investigating and prosecuting digital crimes
- analyse data on storage media and various file systems
- collect electronic evidence without compromising the original data;
- evaluate the functions and features of digital forensics equipment, the environment and the tools for a digital forensics lab;
- compose technical tactics in digital crimes and assess the steps involved in a digital forensics investigation;
- prepare and defend reports on the results of an investigation