Creating a Physician Profile:
- They could create a Physician Profile that would be used each year when reviewing the physician’s contract – in the credentialing process
- Could include CME hours, committee meetings attending, complication rates, complaint rates, incomplete record rates, etc…
- Hospitals are required to have this for accreditation purposes so students could facilitate a process already in place…
- They could identify the policy to support this and assess compliance with policy
- Locate and utilize the accreditation standard that explains how and why this is to be done)
This practicum course is designed to allow Health Information Management students to work on specific projects related to the program goals. The supervisor for the student at the work placement site coordinates these projects. Projects will be selected from any of the major health information management functions and also in relation to the requests and needs of the host site. During this practicum, students are expected to work independently and apply work ethics and professionalism. Student submit a final project report to the host site supervisor and college instructor.
Course Content Outline:
- Course Learning Outcomes:
- CLO 1- Complete the project agreed upon by the host organization, the student and the course instructor.
- CLO 2- Apply professional work ethics and conform to the rules and working hours of the host organization.
- CLO 3- Demonstrate a satisfactory level of interaction, cooperation and communication with employees of the host organization and the course instructor.
LO 01 Complete the project agreed upon by the host organization, the student and the course instructor
Identify personal learning objectives.
Document project planning.
Prepare a written report describing the role of all individuals, the purpose, and your involvement in the project prior to, during and at the completion.
Complete weekly diaries/reports.
LO 02 Apply professional work ethics and conform to the rules and working hours of the host organization
Attend the workplace regularly and punctually.
Follow the host organization’s rules and procedures at all times.
Maintain an appropriate level of confidentiality.
Complete a written self-evaluation of performance.
LO 03 Demonstrate a satisfactory level of interaction, cooperation and communication with employees of the host organization and the course instructor
Accept and follow work instructions.
Accept and learn from constructive feedback.
Contribute positively to the work environment.
Complete a written evaluation of the behaviors and communication skills encountered and observed during the practicum.
Write a letter of thanks to the host organization and submit project report if required.
Part 1 – Observe and then define the Organizational Structure of the Facility
Review of Goals & Objectives of the Hospital
Review of the Mission Statement
Review of the Vision Statement
Description of department assigned to: –
o Role of department
o Responsibilities of staff
o Duties performed by student
Part 2 – Conduct a Project dealing with: –
- Quality Management
- Risk Management, or
- Utilization Management
The student is to discuss this project with their contact person at the hospital as they may have a particular study or project they wish the student to work on.
The student will be responsible for
o collecting data
o designing the appropriate worksheets
o organizing the data in a statistical format
o presenting the data
Examples of projects might be:
o Feasibility of extending OPD Clinic Hours
o Risk Management Assessment – Review of Infection Control Program
o Development of Admission & Discharge Criteria (Utilization Management)