Below are a number of statements with bolded and underlined phrases or words within them. The bolded and underlined words are the variables for which you will generate operational definitions. Although operational definitions can be physiological or self-report in nature, you are to create operational definitions that are behavioral. Make sure you are clear on behavioral operational definitions before continuing (See text and PPT presentations). Below each original statement write your operational definition for each variable. Then recreate the sentence substituting your operational definitions for all of the conceptual definitions (bolded and underlined terms). Your work will be graded on your ability to create operational definitions that are (1) quantifiable, (2) behavioral, and (3) objectively measurable – meaning others could measure them in the same fashion.
1. Eating fast food leads to being unhealthier than not eating fast food. Eating mass-produced severalself-disclosure cooperative, quickly prepared food from chain restaurants that are high in salt, fat, sugar, and calories leads to having higher levels of unhealthy cholesterol, higher blood pressure, and a higher BMI than if the same individual were eating home-cooked meals where the levels of fat, sugar, salt, and calories are monitored to specific needs.
2. People in a bad mood will be more helpful than those in a good mood. People who are upset, irritable, or annoyed are more obliging and cooperation in assisting others than people who are jovial and in high spirits.
3. High levels of self-disclosure improve romantic relationships more than low levels of self-disclosurecooperative. Opening up and sharing intimate and private details of your personal life leads to shared feelings of a close emotional connection within a significant, exclusive, intimate relationship rather than being closed off and distant in communication.
4. People who exercise regularly sleep better at night than those who do not sleep regularly. People who engage in movement that stresses their heart at a moderate or intensive rate for at least 30 minutes a day 3-5 times a week have deeper, more restful (report waking up feeling more rested), uninterrupted sleep at night than those who are sedentary and do not engage in activity that stresses their heart at a moderate or intensive rate for at least 30 minutes a day 3-5 times a week.
5. People who like professional wrestling have poorer interpersonal skills than those who do not like professional wrestling. People who enjoy watching the professional sport of actors/entertainers grappling according to a set of pre-established rules have less success with relating to others socially (i.e., initiating conversations that last more than 2 exchanges) than those who do not enjoy the same professional sport.
6. Young women look in mirrors more often than older women. Women in stages of adolescence through young to middle adulthood look at shiny objects that reflect their physical appearance more often than women who are in the more advanced stages of aging, or late adulthood to the end of life.
7. People learn better when they learn in quiet versus noisy places. People show aptitude towards gaining knowledge and applying skills accurately and proficiently when they learn in places with little or no noise versus places where there are lots of sounds that are loud, distracting, boisterous, or piercing.
Operational Definitions Exercises
1. Eating fast food leads to being unhealthier than not eating fast food.
Definition: This is the attribution related to weight gain, with consistent fatigue, illness, or even shortness of breath.
Sentence: Eating mass food, which is produced, or can be formed quickly can be unhealthy. Focusing on the food chain from the restaurants consists of high salt consistency, bad fats, and high sugar content, with numerous calories, which is predicted to be increasing the level of unhealthy cholesterols, blood pressure, and a higher rate BMI. Moreover, in the case of any individual who was eating homemade or cooked meals that have limited fats, sugar, or salt amount that belongs to the calories it is monitored under a specified need of an individual. Alternatively, eating junk foods or fast foods regularly can cause a severe issue in comparison to the vegetables and fruits in one’s diet.
2. People in a bad mood will be more helpful than those in a good mood.
Definition: This phrase can be defined as the services or assistance related to another person.
Sentence: People who are upset, irritable or they are annoyed are more obligating or they are cooperating to assist others, as compared to other people with jovial and high spirits. Thus, his bad disposition can sometimes encourage him to aid another, which can hope to make a change.
3. High levels of self-disclosure improve romantic relationships more than low levels of self-disclosure.
Definition: This attribute is based on communication as well as on honesty leading to a better state while defining another person.
Sentence: Opening up or sharing intimate or private details based on personal life leads to sharing one’s feelings with a close emotional connection, with a significance or an exclusive relationship that thrives out of distant communication. Thus, this relationship is a better thing can learn about opening up with one another.
4. People who exercise regularly sleep better at night than those who do not sleep regularly.
Definition: A state which is being exhausted, or can be less enthusiastic after the exerting system while increasing the amount of energy that is required.
Sentence: People who are engaged in a particular movement are often stressed in their hearts at a moderate or intensive rate, for at least undertaken by a more restful or uninterrupted sleep, with a sedentary formation which deals with an activity to remote with all the stress factors related with a heart on a moderate or cater with an intensive rate for about 30 minutes a day for merely 5 times a week.
5. People who like professional wrestling have poorer interpersonal skills than those who do not like professional wrestling.
Definition: This is addressed to relate to having a relationship with one another.
Sentence: People who enjoy watching their professional sports like an actor or it can be an entertainer who can gable about the skills to set forth the pre-established rules with less successful ideas to relate with society, who are initiating their conversations with more than two exchange modes, as compared to those who have not been enjoying the same professional like sports. Moreover, the case of the poor or those who lack interpersonal skills, are not directly or indirectly correlated to viewing professionals as wrestling, which is another form of sports.
6. Young women look in mirrors more often than older women.
Definition: This phrase is concerned with the mental image of an individual, who has low esteem, for complexity.
Sentence: The verge of the statement states about the contrasting character of women, which can be revolutionized. Women in different stages have to face differences. Moreover, women when they reach the stage of being adolescent through their middle age look shiner to an object. While through this they can reflect on themselves with their physical appearance. Moreover, this mainly focuses on the women who have been considering the advancement related to the different stages of aging based on women, or when they reach late adulthood, to the end of their life, they cannot face the mirror more as they used to do before. Thus, due to societal influences as well as the possibility of lack of self-esteem, to look in the mirror rather than going on to old age.
7. People learn better when they learn in quiet versus noisy places.
Definition: This eventually advances the capacity to retain different information, to comprehend and check the system of learning better which helps an individual to be attentive.
Sentence: Here, people focus on showing aptitude towards the methods, so that they can gain knowledge and can make an application to develop a skill on an accurate basis, with proficiency. When an individual about the different places to thrive out with little noise comparatively, this focuses on the places that consist of lots of sounds which at times can be louder. Thus, loud sounds can create a distraction, boisterous, or act like a piercing system. Comparing the definition to the idea is based on the developed external distraction which is formed due to loud sounds from loud music, while they can disturb something when they are related to the study.