Assignment : Database Modeling and Normalization
Imagine that you work for a consulting firm that offers information technology and database services. Part of its core services is to optimise and offer streamline solutions for efficiency. In this scenario, your firm has been awarded a contract to implement a new personnel system for a government agency. This government agency has requested an optimised data repository for its system which will enable the management staff to perform essential human resources (HR) duties along with the capability to produce ad hoc reporting features for various departments. They look forward to holding data that will allow them to perform HR core functions such as hiring, promotions, policy enforcement, benefits management, and training.
1. Determine the steps in the development of an effective Entity Relationship Model (ERM) Diagram and determine the possible iterative steps / factors that one must consider in this process with consideration of the HR core functions and responsibilities of the client.
2. Analyse the risks that can occur if any of the developmental or iterative steps of creating an ERM Diagram are not performed.
3. Select and rank at least five (5) entities that would be required for the development of the data repositories.
4. Specify the components that would be required to hold time-variant data for policy enforcement and training management.
5. Diagram a possible 1:M solution that will hold salary history data, job history, and training history for each employee through the use of graphical tools in Microsoft Word or Visio, or an open source alternative such as Dia. Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length.
6. Plan each step of the normalisation process to ensure the 3NF level of normalisation using the selected five (5) entities of the personnel database solution. Document each step of the process and justify your assumptions in the process.
7. Diagram at least five (5) possible entities that will be required to sustain a personal solution. The diagram should include the following:
1. Dependency diagrams
2. Multivalued dependencies
Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length.