1. What is self-awareness?
2. What is the theory of mind?
3. Much of what humans and non-human animals learn happens as a result of a social interaction.
4. Communication is vital to all animal species, even solitary ones. What makes the study of vervet monkey communication discussed on pp. 268 & 269 important to understanding animal communication?
5. What is the difference between communication and language? Do you think non-human animals have language? Why or why not?
6. The film Ravens and the chapter on raven intelligence by Heinrich address the intelligence of ravens.
Read/watch the following readings and videos and use them to answer the above questions.
1. Wynne & Udell (2013), chapters 8, 9, 11, & 12
2. Heinrich, B. (2000). Mind of the raven (chapter 26, pp. 312- 324). New York, NY: Harper Collins. Heinrich’s research on Ravens is discussed in the documentary about ravens. In this chapter, you find out more about his experiments.
Videos (youtube) :
1. NOVA Science NOW: What are animals thinking?
2. NOVA Inside Animal Minds: Episode 3 (Who is the smartest?)
3. Nature: Ravens