Law-Making Systems & Legal Structure of Your Own Country(sultanate of Oman)
Your report must contain the following THREE key areas
1.Law-Making Systems (e.g. Parliament)
2.Legal Structures (e.g. Courts)
3.Enforcement (e.g. Police/Criminal Laws)
Suggested areas to look for are as follows:
Section 1 – Law-Making Systems
- Type of system – democracy?, monarchy?, communist?, other?
- Representative government?, elected/not elected?, King/Queen?
- Parliament?, Other Structures?
- Supreme Head of State/Country?
Section 2 – Type of Court System
- Names of Courts
- Court hierarchy?
- Original & appellate jurisdiction?
- Criminal &Civil jurisdictions?
- Types of court cases
- Types of legal personnele.g. judges, juries, lawyers)
- Adversary or inquisitorial system of trial
Section 3 – Law Enforcement
- Structure and role of the police force or military personnel
- Types of criminal laws & sanctions (try to find at least three different crimes)
- Types of civil laws – examples and explanations
Other interesting/unique features
- g. death penalty for some crimes
- Military rather than police
- Other features
Make a brief comparison of the key parts of your country’s’ systems compared to that of the Australian systems.