Aim: The primary aim of this assignment is to explore your capacity to analyze the marketing strategies and marketing processes of real organizations and determine their effectiveness. It also aims to determine your ability to analyze such practical matters using early concepts (such as marketing intelligence, market segmentation and target marketing to name a few examples) covered in the formative weeks of the unit.
Core Task: Basing your arguments on the academic literature that you have studied in the first six topics of this unit, write a report on the ways two different organizations have been able to compete in their markets. Your report should discuss the following points about each of the two organizations:
1. Evidence that the organization has again a competitive advantage from their marketing processes.
2. Theoretical analysis of the reasons for the achievement of this advantage.
1. Choose your two cases. They all need to be published cases in academic sources (e.g. textbooks, journal articles). It is obviously important that each case represents an instance of a company achieving a clear success regarding their marketing function.
2. Analyse and locate evidence. Begin to analyze each case regarding the two questions – particularly question one listed previously. It is vital that you respond to both questions, but the evidence successful marketing practice is more likely to be in the case material itself. It is in this part of the process that you might bring in supplemental material from company documents/websites, media analysis and so on. Be sure to reference all sources properly. You need to try and show clear and where possible objective evidence of the sustained competitive advantage.
3. Analyse and explain. You need to move from the presentation of evidence to explaining how the company/organization was able to achieve its success through its strategies. This part of the assignment requires you to consider any aspect of the marketing strategy process and any aspect of the organizations’ marketing-based strategising that you think has enabled them to sustain their competitive advantage. You will need to show that you understand relevant theories and concepts from the course and that you can apply them to an analysis and assessment of different companies’ marketing actions and performance. Consider using relevant models and theoretical perspectives to make your analysis. For example, you might find that one successful organization has executed its marketing strategy by applying Ansoff’s Matrix in a disciplined manner, whereas another successful organization has executed a successful marketing strategy by consistently exploiting some interesting form of customer segmentation. You may find an opportunity to critique various concepts and theoretical positions through seeing how they apply or don’t apply to your case organizations. Evidence that you understand and can use tools discussed in the early topics of the unit will add value.
4. Write up. On completing your analysis, you obviously need to write it up. You should respond to this task in report format, with headings and subheadings used to help readers understand the structure of your paper. A possible structure might be:
a. An introduction which both sets up the task and the rest of the paper, and introduces the core concepts that the task is designed to deal with. You might also take this chance to scope the work – for example, the time frame that will be used to assess the marketing success for the case organizations.
b. Description of the two cases. Describe each case, each organization and the sources of your information
c. Evidence of Marketing-related success (leading through to a competitive advantage for the firm). Marshal all the evidence that you can that you think reveals that each organization has well and truly found success in the marketing realm. d. Analysis and Explanation. Provide a detailed analysis of how each
d. Analysis and Explanation. Provide a detailed analysis of how each organization achieved its success in marketing terms. e. Conclusion.
e. Conclusion. Summarize the key points and what can be learned from the overall analysis.